- Connaughton, Richard M. The War of the Rising Sun and the Tumbling Bear: A Military History of the Russo-Japanese War, 1904-5. London: Routledge, 1991.
- Olender, Piotr. Russo-Japanese Naval War 1905, Vol. 1. Havertown, PA: MMP Books, 2009.
- Steinberg, John W. “Was the Russo-Japanese War World War Zero?” The Russian Review 67 (2008): 1-7.
- Beasley, W.G. Japanese Imperialism 1894-1945. New York: Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Keene, Donald. Emperor of Japan: Meiji and His World, 1852-1912. New York: Columbia University Press, 2005.
- Ravina, Mark. The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Books, 2005.
- Bix, Herbert P. Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan. New York: HarperCollins, 2001.
- Tipton, Elise K. The Japanese Police State: Tokko in Interwar Japan. Honolulu, HI: University of Hawaii Press, 1990.
- Toland, John. The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945. New York: Modern Library, 2003.
- Young, Louise. Japan’s Total Empire: Manchuria and the Culture of Wartime Imperialism. Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press, 1999.
Invasion of Manchuria and Japanese Aggression
- Matsusaka, Yoshihisa Tak. The Making of Japanese Manchuria, 1904-1932. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Asia Center, 2003.
- Young, Louise. Japan’s Total Empire: Manchuria and the culture of wartime imperialism. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1998.
United States’ Response to Japanese Aggression
- Iriye, Akira. Pearl Harbor and the coming of the Pacific War: A Brief History with Documents and Essays. Boston: Bedford-St. Martin’s Publishing, 1999.
- LaFeber, Walter, Polenberg, Richard, and Nancy Woloch. The American Century: A History of the United States since the 1890s. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013.
- Yoshida, Takashi. The Making of the “Rape of Nanking”: History and Memory in Japan, China, and the United States. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
Japanese Attacks on United States
- Koginos, Manny T. The Panay Incident: Prelude to War. Lafayette, ID: Purdue University Studies, 1967.
- Nardo, Don. Pearl Harbor. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 2003.
- Smith, Robert R. Triumph in the Philippines: The War in the Pacific. Honolulu, HI: University of Pacific Press, 2005.
- Takeo, Iguchi. Demystifying Pearl Harbor: A New Perspective from Japan. Tokyo: I-House Press, 2010.
- Webber, Bert. Silent Siege: Japanese Attacks Against North America in World War II. Fairfield, WA: Ye Galleon Press, 1984.
All photographs used on this online exhibition belong to the Lynden Pioneer Museum or are in the public domain as of 2014.
Construction of this web exhibition is credited to Kyle Jennings of Western Washington University’s History Department and Internet Studies Center.